Pride Month

Friday 24 January 2020

[[0008]] Wrapping up warm - Cold and Diabetes


Hey everyone! 

I thought it was time that I did a bit more of an informative post, like my one about hypoglycaemia. And with the weather being so chilly and frosty in the United Kingdom right now, well, it seems appropriate that this post was about how the cold can influence type 1 diabetes and how it affects us, as well as what we have to do in these bitter conditions. Seems appropriate, don't ya think? 

Not many people know, but the weather can affect type 1 diabetics and our blood sugars as well as our insulin supplies as well. Hot weather I must admit, gets to me the worst in comparison to cold weather, but we will get on to the hot days when the weather warms up a little bit more! We can all dream though! I can currently see my breath as I write this in my living room, however, at least with the cold, you can wrap up in as many layers as possible and eventually be warm as there is only so much you can take off before its indecent when things are hot!!! I currently have a nice blanket double wrapped over my legs as well as this amazing blanket style hoodie, that is all fleecy and warm and I honestly have been living in it for the last month (thank you Dad and Emma, definitely an amazing Christmas present!!!) The picture to the left really does this snuggle blanket hoodie no justice (I should probably wash it eventually though... if it can be parted from my body!)

HbA1c Levels

I may have briefly mentioned about HbA1c levels in some previous posts. Long story short, HbA1c is "glycated haemoglobin" which clinicians and doctors use to gauge a diabetics average control over a period of 3 months (I'll leave it at this for now, but be sure, I will be posting the good old science behind HbA1cs in the future!!!)

In the Winter and colder months, HbA1c levels can be raised in type 1 diabetics. One of the reasons that I am aware of for this (and oh man, I miss my Biomedical Science masters so much) is because higher blood sugars can help you feel warmer. The higher the sugar content in blood, the harder it is for the blood to cool down (Sloane Susan, 2019). All in all, it is a natural reaction for the body to help protect itself in extreme temperatures, which is pretty smart if you ask me!

Peripheral Neuropathy

Colder weather can thicken your blood and if you suffer from neuropathy, thicker blood can make it more difficult to notice the effect the cold is having on the affected appendage. I have always suffered badly with really cold hands and feet, and the foot that has neuropathy suffers the worst; my right foot can heat up and get warm after I've exited the cold but my bad foot will feel frozen for hours after, especially my big toe. 

At this point in time, I am lucky as I have not yet entirely lost the feeling in my neuropathic foot. Overtime, it will happen eventually and I have been told that the pain will also get worse (sharp shooting nerve pains as well as pins and needle sensations) but I have medication to help reduce this for now. 

One of the ways I try to compensate for this, is by wearing shoes with decent soles and not open, as well as thick/thermal socks. It isn't much, but it helps remove the pain a little. I also have an amazing Fiance who will give me foot massages which really helps encourage the blood flow around the foot. I also like to take hot baths when I can, as in a bath, I cannot feel any of the neuropathy sensations in my foot which is rather pleasant! 

Medication and Supplies

This has never affected me but it is something you're made very aware of when you are first introduced to insulin. Insulin can be affected by extreme temperatures as it is a protein, and proteins can degrade in heat or cold. Think of it like meat, you leave it in the heat and it will go funny, freezing could cause freezer burn and ruin it's integrity. Cool temperature is the best for preserving insulin which is why we store it in the fridge, but it does last for 30 days outside of the fridge, so when it is in use and away from the bad temps, it is completely fine. 

Blood tests kits can also malfunction in cold weather, due to the batteries and electronics... but warming it up in your hands tends to make them work again... works for mine!!

Depression

So, everyone knows the cold weather can lower moods and mental health, as well as cause a lack of vitamin D that can help contribute to low moods, being tired and achy. One thing that I strive hard to hope I can teach people is that STRESS AND DEPRESSION AND DIABETES DO NOT GO WELL TOGETHER

I have struggled for the longest possible time in my life with stress and depression and it has actually taken me YEARS to reach a point where I have removed a large amount of the stress that was causing my diabetes to mess up to the point that end of last year, for the first time in 15 years, I had a HbA1c level that was in my target range and single figures. It took removing family members and thinking of myself a lot more, but sometimes the toxic needs to go so you can get better and the figures for my bloods prove it.

Alas, the cold weather does get me down and there have been times, normally when I am at work, that the cold and the typical work stress has caused my sugars to raise and I can't pinpoint why or what did it. Basically folks, try to take care of your health and your mental health as best you can in these icky months. 

Illness and Bugs

Winter sucks for cold and flu and chest infections and sinusitis and the list is damn long and I have had most of them at some point or another over the winter months. Illness is a whole new ball game with diabetes... for example, from my own experience, a sniffle feels like a cold, a cold feels like flu and flu is basically like pneumonia or erm... death, a pro-longed stay in hospital... and so forth. Not fun. Not only that though, the cold weather doesn't only raise your blood sugar levels but illness can also make them even higher. Also, antibiotics can sometimes mess with your blood sugars as well, so illness really is not a fun thing to deal with when you have diabetes!

I make sure I get a flu jab every year for that extra dose of protection... plus I also work in a hospital soooooo definitely need that extra protection. Alas, working in a hospital has its disadvantages, what with all the bugs creeping around and me personally, I do not have a great immune system and bugs seem to love me (throw back to start of October and the two week gastroenteritis I suddenly developed at work). 

How I look after myself in the winter months

 I've made a little list of all the things I do when its chilly to help keep my diabetes in some sense of normal, obviously, things don't always work out as planned but the best you can do is try!

  • Always wrap up warm and snug, add more layers if your cold. I tend to wear tights under my trousers and really thick socks, as well as layering up my hoodies and tees. Hats and slippers are good as well and a decent pair of gloves can help when you're out and about.
  • Don't be afraid to use the heating (if you can afford it, we know it can be pricey). Sometimes needs must and keeping warm can help prevent bugs taking hold.
  • Blood testing more when its cold can help you adjust insulin appropriately.
  • Make sure to get a flu jab!
  • Hand washing is so important when out and about as well as ensuring that you cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze and try your best to avoid people with bugs if you can, alas that is not always possible.
  • Make sure insulin and blood test kits don't get too cold, so keeping them in a warm space like an insulated bag is always useful.
  • If you're feeling low, be sure to talk to people and reach out... talking is a good way to deal with your feelings and emotions and you can often feel better when you see friends and family.

  • Foot massages (or hand, depending on where the neuropathy is) is a great way to keep the blood flowing and can help with neuropathy as well as being quite relaxing. 
  • Hot water bottles are your friends, but make sure to use them with a cover as you don't want to burn yourself (diabetics can take longer to heal after all!!!)
I think that is everything for now! And hopefully I've helped to give you some tips to keep warm over these horrible months!!

Also, thank you again to everyone who has followed me and viewed my blog! I am nearly at 300 pageviews... thank you all so much ❤️❤️❤️




No comments:

Post a Comment