Pride Month

Monday 10 February 2020

[[0014]] Being prepared for an unexpected emergency on the train

I honestly did not know what to call this post, like, technically I helped to save a life but that felt a bit too extreme for a title as it wasn't all me, so hopefully this will do and hopefully sum up this post nicely!

Me and the other half were travelling for our long awaited get away to London last Wednesday 5th Feb via train, as we normally do. Normally on my trips to London, especially on the train, I end up grinning like a loon as we pass the Emirates Stadium and then go through the last big tunnel before you hit King's Cross. Many of you don't know, but I was born in London and I am always at my most happiest when I get to go back there because deep down, I know it is where I belong and where I wish to end up in my future, somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I was smiling as we were pulling into London but that suddenly changed drastically as there was a little bit of commotion a few seats behind us. And in all my time as a type 1 diabetic (27 years to be precise) I have never ever been in a situation like this before, and it was quite terrifying and scary. But at the same time, I was so glad that I had started to carry around an emergency hypo and diabetes travel kit as that suddenly became very damn useful. 

So, we were travelling on the 10.49 (delayed by a couple of minds) LNER service from Peterborough to London King's Cross on Wednesday 5th November 2020, about an hour trip or so. Me and Jake were sat together as per usual, I was listening to my Dir en Grey potential set list playlist to get me in the mood for the gig we were going to later on that evening. I think at the time, I was starting to pack my bag up to get ready to grab cases and get off of the train when a lady suddenly yelled that we needed a nurse or someone with medical experience to help an elderly gentleman, who I later found out had spat and growled at her as she walked down the carriage. 

Normally, I avoid drama, but I guess working in a hospital has changed me a little bit, even if it is just a clerical role. Me and Jake started looking around and thankfully a woman (who I think was a nurse) said she had medical experience and came running down the train. 

Me being me, I was ear wigging the conversation between the ladies and the not-okay gentleman, and I guess like spider-senses tingling, I heard a lot of talk of low blood sugar and insulin, so I looked at Jake because I needed to do something, and rifled through my bag to pull out the pack of Dextros we had got for the trip, climbed over Jake and went to give them to a man who was sat behind the elderly gentleman, I think he was trying to keep him propped up. I said they could have them, I could always get more but that I hoped they would help, so I went to sit back down because I know hypos can be terrifying for the person experiencing them. 

They managed to get him to take some Dextros but then the nurse was asking if anyone had a sugary drink... no-one on the train did, which in a way, is understandable because it was the end of the line, but I had my emergency one in my bag, so I got that out and took it down to them. I got a good look at the table of the elderly gentleman at this point, and I could see his insulin on the table, and as I went to sit back down, it made me wonder what had happened to make this man have such a bad diabetic hypo on his travels and the main and only thing I could think of was that he thought his blood sugars were high and did some insulin... and it turned out they were low. I am sure there could be other reasons but it's the only one I could think of at the time. 

We drew up to London eventually. The last I heard was that his blood sugars were 5.2, which is much better, but... he was still growling and spitting so worryingly, it seemed his sugars could go down again. I annoyingly didn't have any long acting carbohydrates on me, as I don't tend to take them for hypos unless I am at home or they are in my lunch box, so after this experience, I decided to change up my hypo supplies a little bit, just in case this happens to someone else (or myself) in the future. 

On the left, you can see my new, updated emergency hypo kit! A couple of bottles of Lucozade (which I have to drink I lot of for a hypo since they lowered the sugar content, however, not everyone likes the energy drink I like for treatment so I opted to change it out, plus the elderly gentleman didn't seem to be a fan when they rubbed it on his gums) and I also added some new cereal bars for some long acting carbohydrates, and they are very tasty! I also managed to find the lemon flavour of Dextros tablets when I was in London too, so I was more than happy to add that flavour to my kit (which on that note, does anyone know if they still make the Lucozade version of the sugar tabs or if tropical flavour still exists?).

We got to London and made sure we were the last to get off the train. They managed to get some train staff alerted and I believe an ambulance was rung for the gentleman so I felt there was no need to hang around, it wasn't my place too and I had done all I could. We did see the daughter (I think) of the medical professional and told her that her mum(?) was amazing for doing what she was doing and stuff. 

We then went outside and I waited for all the events to hit me in the face (as per usual, yey mental health) and honestly, over two cigarettes and listening to Hyde's cover of "Ordinary World" on repeat (to help me calm), I sat and thought about everything that happened. 

It might not sound terrifying in the way I have written what had happened, but... it has made me think a lot about how my own hypos will be in the future. I obviously do not know this man (I think he was called Bryan) and I don't know what other medical problems he may or may not have, but, I have only ever had a couple of hypos where I've not exactly been myself, but nothing like what I saw on the train. Will I be like that in another 20 or so years, or will I maybe lose my hypo awareness and not even realise I am having said hypos. I am already spending a lot of my time at the moment, fighting to keep myself happy and sane and not let the diabetes control and future get to me, but I won't deny that it truly is starting to eat away at me, as I fight for both control and yet to not be ruled by my health condition. 

But those thoughts are for another time.

The medical professional did amazing and if I was her daughter, I would be so proud of her. I also hope that Bryan is okay after everything that happened to him on the train, and that he was/is being well looked after. 

I don't know if this blog post will ever reach the people that helped or the elderly gentleman I gave the hypo supplies too... but, I hope it does nonetheless! My thoughts are with everyone that was there and helped, even those who helped that I have not mentioned.
I will always make sure I have my hypo and diabetes supplies on me from here on out, and I kinda hope that I may have convinced some of you to put a can of sugary drink or some Dextros tablets in your bag in case you see a Diabetic in need of some help in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment